Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Belated {Virtual Coffee}

Happy Wednesday, Coffee Friends!
I'm sorry that I'm late for our Virtual Coffee date-- but there's a very good reason.

Her name is IRENE.  (As in Hurricane Irene).
By the time she reached us late Saturday night, she was downgraded to a Tropical Storm-- but believe you me-- she was still plenty scary!
And still did PLENTY of damage!
   (For those of you way out in the blogosphere, we live about an hour northeast of New York City in south central Connecticut, about two towns inland from the shore).


Did you get hit by the storm? Or feel any of its effects?
Irene may not have been as powerful as some of the other hurricanes that have hit this area in the past, but she was very large in size and duration.  In places close to rivers and along the shore, she has caused serious flooding.

At the moment, my family and I (and the dog, too!) are staying in the comforts of a Holiday Inn.
They have complementary coffee here, which is all very nice, but it is just AWFUL!!
Thankfully, there is a Dunkin Donuts about a half-mile down the road in one direction, and a Starbucks the other way.
The kids love it here!  (There's a pool).
And I'm happy to have internet connection (not to mention a shower and running water!!)
I guess we'll have to consider it an unplanned summer vacation as we did not take one this season!

We are still without power at home.
Come, let me take you on a quick tour of our yard...
   BIG limb fell on wires in the front:
   Might be hard to see in the photo, but the wires go right across our driveway and attach to the pole on the right.
    In the back, we have some woods and this road (in which one lane is currently passable).
   Close up of tree above:
   An uprooted tree that is leaning agains another (bigger, healthier) tree:
This is what it looks like all over town.
Thankfully, for us, no damage to the house or cars (other than broken gutters in many places and lots of debris to clean up.  Oh, and the refrigerator and freezer to empty, which I've already done). 

If we were really meeting for coffee..
I'd have to say that I have really missed being in touch with my blogland friends!!  I have LOTS of catching up on reading to do!  And I am looking forward to it.

Remember last week (I posted here) how I was so looking forward to the start of school and a regular routine??
That is SO NOT HAPPENING!!
School was supposed to start yesterday, but they have now postponed the opening a whole week until next Tuesday!!
"Calgon, take me away..." 
    [Does anyone else remember that commercial, or am I dating myself here?]

Anyway, I hope all is well in your world!  
I'm very happy to have managed a post from this end-- so that's a good start to the day!  
Even though I'm late, I'll be linking over at Amy's blog for Virtual Coffee!

Have a great week!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you didnt have too much irreparable damage, and that the kids are enjoying their "holiday" lol Hope the clear up goes okay, and swing by starbucks and dds for me ;-)

Helen said...

I now understand why it was a little quiet. Hope everything is back to normal soon. Didn't realize you might have been affected by the storm/hurricane. Glad there isn't too much damage. Enjoy Starbucks while you can and hope to have a virtual coffee again next week.

Judith, Belfast said...

Oh Elisa! I'm sorry to hear that you've been affected by that wicked Irene! My geography of USA is woeful, so I'd no idea you were caught up in it. And to have school delayed too! Your last nerve must be well and truly shredded! Hold on babe! Just a few more days. Glad you are all safe and sound (in body anyway!). Jxo

Quiltn Mama said...

So glad to hear you and the family are okay. Maybe something from Starbucks will make you feel a bit better about the late start of school LOL!! And, yes, I remember the Calgon commercial...do you remember the perfume commercial with the lady singing 'I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan and never let you forget you're a man...'cause I'm a wooo-man' I can't for the life of me remember the NAME of the perfume, but OMGosh do I remember the commercial!! Take care ;)

ck said...

Wow, what a mess she made! When hurricanes aren't destroying things, it looks like a very beautiful place to live, though! :-) Hoping things quickly get back to normal for all of you!

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 said...

oh wow, sorry i am so late catching up with you for coffee...i am so glad to hear y0u all are okay though, so scary! hahahaha...i might be dating myself but i remember that commercial and my mom used to say that and now so do i! : )

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Oh wow, how scary! I'm so glad you all are safe though and there's no real serious damage for you to contend with. I do feel sorry for those who have suffered from this. I'm glad you've got a bit of a "vacation", such as it is, and I hope everything goes back to normal very soon!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I can't even imagine going through this. When this was happening to you, I was sitting in a hotel room enjoying the Pacific Ocean on the central coast of California. I could see and hear the waves, but on the TV screen in our room we were watching the devastation of Irene. Surreal...

Anonymous said...

oh dear. Sorry to hear about that nasty Irene! Glad you are all back home safe now though.