Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Welcome, Birdies!!

   At last, there are a few early signs of spring approaching here in New England!!  The red-winged blackbirds have returned from their winter in the south and I've seen some bluebird activity as well.  My daughter even found some frog eggs out in the wet woods behind our house over the weekend.
   But the "Birdies" that I am truly welcoming are of a different kind.  They arrived in this form:
    And they look like this:


   This beautiful quilt is from Cindy, of Fluffy Sheep Quilting (in Galway, Ireland).
   Over the last year, Cindy participated in the Birdie Stitches quiltalong, hosted by Little Miss Shabby.   She enjoyed the first six months of the Birdies, but then grew out-of-love with it.  At the end of January, Cindy posted her finished top here.  I thought it was such a beautiful quilt, and those of you who know me, might know that I am a nature lover (I have a background in environmental education) and have a special place in my heart for birds, especially.  
   So when Cindy posted that she was going to donate the quilt top to Project Linus, I commented that I would gladly give her Birdies a good home where they would be loved and appreciated, and in turn I would create a quilt and donate it to Project Linus.   
   To my sheer joy and utter surpise, Cindy emailed me back to say that we had a deal!!  (Squeals and jumping for joy!!)
   Today, Cindy shared her version about how her Birdies Have Flown the Coop.  Her Birdies are currently displayed lovingly in our home, hanging over the upstairs railing for now-- until I can sandwich and piece the layers together.  My husband and the kids absolutely love the Birdies as well and we are thrilled to have it in our home.  Once its finished, we have decided that it will hang on the large empty wall in or living room (where we spend lots of our time).
   THANK YOU, THANK YOU Cindy!!  I'm so glad that we have been able to give your quilt a good home.  I have a few deadlines looming at the moment, but as soon as those are complete, I will start quilting the top.  Stay tuned!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful birdies arriving on your birthday!! Happy Birthday, Elisa!!

Katy Cameron said...

Yay, so glad you were able to rehome the birdies into an appreciative environment :o) (popping over from Cindy's blog)

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Elisa! So pleased to hear the birdies have such a good home, loved watching it come together, so I'll look forward to seeing you finish it!

Quiltn Mama said...

Too cute! Happy Birthday, Elisa!

Iowa Sunshine said...

beautiful. happy birthday dear friend!! it's been a joy 'meeting' you -- from a wonderful tara brach connection : ) enjoy your day.

Judith, Belfast said...

This was a great pact between you and C! I loved her quilt and can't think of a better home for it to be appreciated in! Enjoy! Jxo

Cindy said...

They look so happy over there :)
Happy birthday, Elisa. Enjoy every bit of it!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Oh Elisa, how lovely! What a great idea, and what a fab quilt top!

Judy said...

What a neat arrangement! I can see why you are so happy with the quilt as Cindy does a lovely job with her quilts. Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Hi stranger :-) Hope you are doing well, and those birdies are so adorable, and so glad they have a nice home to enjoy. Have WONDERFUL birthday!!!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Enjoy quilting the birdies!!!

Cindy said...

Elisa!! I finally have a few minutes to get caught up on blog readings...and this was a GREAT one to read! I'm sorry I missed your birthday...so I'll tell you HAPPY BIRTHDAY now. :o) Looks like you had a beautiful day! How sweet of Cindy to send you the birdie quilt. that is just awesome and you deserve all things good!! Enjoy!!

Amanda said...

How fab, the birdies get a new home!

Looks like Spring is trying to make an appearance here to, yippy!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

I love how this medium connects us kindred spirits. Glad to see you back and blogging!